Accommodation Warden

The Job and What's Involved

Accommodation wardens (or residential wardens) manage the day-to-day running of services such as sheltered housing, rehabilitation centres, youth hostels and student residences.

This job often involves looking after both the building and its residents.

As an accommodation warden your duties could include:

  • Overseeing catering, cleaning and maintenance staff.
  • Responding to emergencies and contacting doctors, social workers or community nurses when needed.
  • Looking after the welfare of residents, checking on them each morning to make sure they are well.
  • Making sure there is effective security provision
    arranging for repairs to be carried out.

Your work would vary according to the type of accommodation and the needs of the people living there.

In sheltered or supported housing or specially adapted accommodation, residents may include homeless people, older people or those with some level of physical disability. In these settings your work would include arranging activities to interest and stimulate the residents, such as bingo, lunch clubs and guest speakers.

In a youth hostel setting, you would provide information on walks and tourist attractions.

You would typically work 37 hours a week, Monday to Friday. Some jobs may involve working weekends or providing a 24-hour on-call service.

In supported or sheltered accommodation, you might need to travel between sites or live on site.

Wardens can earn between £13,000 and £15,000 a year.
With experience, this can rise to around £22,000 or more.

Accommodation managers, with responsibility for several units and wardens, may earn around £35,000.

Some jobs also attract rent-free accommodation. Additional payments may be made for shift work and overtime.

Getting Started with this Career Choice

You are likely to find most jobs with local authorities.

Other employers include housing associations, private companies, voluntary and charitable organisations and educational institutions.

Jobs can be advertised in the local and national press and in jobcentres.

Education and Training

Some employers may prefer you to have GCSE's, although your personal qualities and 'people skills' are usually considered more important.

You could be at an advantage if you have experience (paid or voluntary) of working with vulnerable groups, and a qualifications such as NVQ levels 2 and 3 in Health and Social Care. Experience in a care setting may be essential if, for example, you wish to work as a warden with elderly people.

A good way to prepare for working with the Youth Hostel Association (YHA) could be as a voluntary warden. Check the YHA website for opportunities.

To work with some groups, such as children, you will need Criminal Records Bureau clearance.

A Few More Exams You Might Need

You will usually receive on-the-job training from your employer, which may be combined with working towards qualifications relevant to the type of accommodation you support.

As a warden within sheltered or supported housing you would regularly attend short courses in subjects such as health and safety, hygiene, moving and handling, and first aid.

You may also take qualifications such as:

NVQ levels 3 and 4 in Health and Social Care.

NVQ Level 4 in Leadership and Management for Care Services.

NVQ Level 3 in Property and Caretaking Supervision.

Foundation degree in Housing with Support, like the one run by the CHS (Centre for Housing and Support).

With the Youth Hostel Association (YHA), you would usually begin as an assistant and work towards NVQ levels 2 or 3 in Customer Service. You may be able to progress to senior assistant and with experience, you could apply for hostel manager posts and work towards NVQ Level 4 in Management.

Whichever type of accommodation you run, you could take qualifications offered by the Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH). These range from a Level 2 Certificate in Housing to a Level 4 Diploma in Housing, with options in supported housing and student accommodation. NVQ levels 2, 3 and 4 in Housing would also give you recognition for your skills.

Featured Job Guide - Oil Drilling Roustabout

Oil Drilling Roustabout

Oil Drilling Roustabouts and Roughnecks work as part of a small team on offshore oil or gas drilling rigs or production platforms. Roustabouts do unskilled manual labouring jobs on rigs and platforms, and Roughneck is a promotion from roustabout.

Roustabouts do basic tasks to help keep the rig and platform working efficiently and Roughnecks do practical tasks involved in the drilling operation, under the supervision of the driller.


Skills and Personal Qualities Needed

An accommodation wardens needs:

  • A caring, friendly and outgoing manner.
  • Strong written and spoken communication skills.
  • The ability to relate to a wide variety of people.
  • Good listening skills.
  • A well-organised and methodical approach to work.
  • Strong powers of observation.
  • The ability to remain calm under pressure, for example, during an emergency.
  • Basic computer skills.
  • Good maths skills for budget planning.

Your Long Term Prospects

With experience, you could move in to accommodation management, with responsibility for several centres/units and wardens. You could also go in to housing or block management.

With relevant qualifications, you could also go into related fields such as social work or counselling.

Get Further Information

Youth Hostels Associations (YHA),
England and Wales, Trevelyan House,
Matlock, Derbyshire DE4 3YH
Tel: 0870 770 8868

Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH),
Octavia House, Westwood Business Park,
Westwood Way, Coventry CV4 8JP
Tel: 024 7685 1700

Centre for Housing and Support,
1st Floor, Elgar House, Shrub Hill Road,
Worcester WR4 9EE
Tel: 01905 727272

Other Related Jobs

Additional resources